SEN information report

SEN Information Report 2018- 2019

At The Arches Primary School, we embrace the fact that every child is different, and therefore the educational needs of every child is different; this is certainly the case for children with Special Educational Needs.

From September 2014 all schools are now required to publish a Special Educational Needs (SEN) Information Report on their school website. This sets out detailed information about implementation of the government's policy for pupils with SEN and disabilities (SEND).

It includes arrangements for identifying, assessing and making provision for pupils/students with SEN and disabilities.  The four broad ‘areas of need’ with regard to SEN are;

Communication and Interaction,

Cognition and Learning,

Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties, and

Sensory and Physical Needs

The Cheshire West and Chester (CWAC) Local Offer

  • The Children and Families Bill became enacted in 2014. From this date, Local Authorities and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for the children and young people with Special Educational Needs (SEN) aged 0-25. This is the ‘Local Offer’.
  • The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area.

To access the CWAC Local Offer please use this link:

Who is the SENCO?

Sue Wilkins (HoEP) and Nicola Johnson share responsibility of the role of SENCo. In September 2009 it became law for every new SENCO in a mainstream school to gain the Master’s-level National Award for Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator within 3 years of taking up the post. Nicola Johnson achieved this award in 2013. Sue Wilkins is not required to complete the award as she is an experienced SENCo. 

Who do I speak to if I have concerns about my child’s learning?

If you have a concern regarding your child’s progress or well-being please come into school and talk to us.

Your first point of contact should be your child’s class teacher to discuss support already in place or if you feel that you would like to speak to a senior member of staff, ask to arrange an appointment with the SENCo (Nicola Johnson) or the HoEP (Sue Wilkins).

Appointments can be arranged in person, by phone or by email.  School contact telephone number:  01244 981744

The staff who support your child include:

The class teacher who is responsible for

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional support your child may

need (this could be targeted work or additional support) and letting the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENCo)/ Head of Enhanced Provision (HoEP) know as necessary.

  • Reviewing interventions put in place within the classroom.
  • Writing Pupil Progress targets, based on the smaller steps outlined in PIVATS (Performance Indicators for Value

Added Target Setting), reviewing these at least once each term and planning for the next term.

  • Personalized teaching and learning for your child based on their individual needs.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEN Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEN.


The SENCo: Miss Nicola Johnson and the HoEP is Mrs Sue Wilkins.  Together they are responsible for:

  • Developing and reviewing the school’s SEN policy.
  • Co-ordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)
  • Ensuring that you, as a parent are;         

i) involved in supporting your child’s learning

ii) kept informed about the support your child is getting

iii) involved in reviewing how they are doing.

  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming in to school to help support your child’s learning, e.g. Speech and Language Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Autism Team professions, Educational Psychologists.
  • Updating the school’s SEN register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.
  • Holding a pupil centered review once a year for children who have additional support provided through funding.


The HoEP can be contacted by e-mail at - or Nicola Johnson at

The Headteacher: Mrs Michelle Ashfield who is responsible for:

  • The day-to-day management of all aspects of the school; this includes the support for children with SEND.
  • The Headteacher will give responsibility to the SENCo/HoEP and class teachers, but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • The Headteacher must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND.


The SEN Governor: Mrs Carol Jones who is responsible for:

  • Making sure that the necessary support is given for any child with SEND who attends the school.
  • Monitoring the support children with SEN receive at The Arches


How does The Arches know if my child has special educational needs?

As part of the regular monitoring of progress (which takes place between class teachers, and senior leaders half termly) children are identified who are not making the expected progress or who have needs that are affecting their ability to engage in learning activities. If your child is identified as having SEND then the school is recognizing that your child requires something additional or different to enable them to make further progress. This is referred to as SEN school support.

At The Arches, children are identified as having SEND through a variety of ways, usually a combination, which may include some of the following:

• Liaison with previous school or pre-school setting

• Child performing below ‘age expected’ levels

• Concerns raised by a parent

• Concerns raised by a teacher: for example, if behaviour or self-esteem is affecting performance

• Liaison with external agencies e.g. a physical/ sensory issue

• Use of tools for standardized assessment eg: YARC reading, dyslexia screening

• Children with a Statement / EHCP already have their needs clearly identified.

What is the process of identifying SEND?

The cycle of assess – plan – do – review

The Graduated Approach

The paperwork relating to the monitoring of a child who requires additional support is referred to as The Graduated Response.                               

The process for implementing SEND support is arranged into four stages as outlined in the new Code of Practice and parents are kept fully informed.


When concerns arise, information is gathered from a variety of sources (teacher, pupil, parent, outside agencies) so we can develop an accurate picture of the pupils’ needs, attainment, projected targets, and motivators and how they respond to teaching approaches.


After gathering information a support plan will be put together to outline the methods that will be used to achieve specific outcomes. Short-term targets are agreed which prioritise key areas of learning that are to be addressed and ways in which the progress will be measured. If external agencies are involved, their advice and recommendations are included in the support plan. Any actions agreed take in to account pupil’s strengths as well as their learning differences. In some cases additional resources may be allocated including teaching assistant support. This support is deployed to ensure the pupil makes progress and can engage in lessons and wider school activities and develop independent learning.


All pupil progress targets are an on-going plan and will be adjusted if the class teacher in discussion with the SENco/HoEP feels that the plan is not working, for whatever reason.


All targets are reviewed termly. In this review all targets will be evaluated and the views of the pupil will be recorded. A further plan will then be devised, if required, to enable the pupil to achieve their next steps in learning. If a pupil has made sufficient progress the support plan will cease and the child will be closely monitored through their pupil profile and through pupil progress meetings. For children with more complex needs termly review meetings will be held with the class teacher, SENCo and any external agencies.

If your child is continuing to have significant difficulties after a period of intervention, further external expertise may be requested. An application for high needs top up funding may be made to the local authority. If a pupil is still not making progress despite having taken relevant and purposeful action over time, then parents or school can make an application to the local authority for an Education Health Care Assessment.

A request for a EHCP assessment is a legal process. 

After the request has been made to the ‘Panel of Professionals’, with a lot of information about your child, including information from parents, they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs.                                                                           

After the reports have all been sent in, another Panel of Professionals will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case, they will write an Education Health Care Plan.                                                                                               

If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support.                                                                      

The EHC Plan is a legal document which will outline the individual/small group support your child needs, how the support should be used, and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long- and short-term goals for your child.  An additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes, run small groups including your child.

The allocation of additional support

The school budget, received from the Local Authority, includes money for supporting children with SEND. The Headteacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, in consultation with the school governors on the basis of needs in the school. The Headteacher together with senior managers and the SENCo/HoEP discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including the children getting extra support already, the children needing extra support, the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected. From this information, they decide what resources/training and support is needed. The school identifies the needs of SEND pupils on a provision map. This identifies all support given within school and is reviewed regularly and changes made as needed, so that the needs of children are met, and resources are deployed as effectively as possible.

What is an Education and Health Care plan?

Education, Health and Care Plans will replace the statement of SEN. The EHC Plan is a legal document which will outline the individual/small group support your child needs, how the support should be used, and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long- and short-term goals for your child.  An additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes and/or run small groups including your child. The EHC Plan will be reviewed each year by Nicola Johnson or Sue Wilkins in a pupil centered review- putting the child at the centre and not just the paperwork! 

How is teaching adapted for children with SEND?

At The Arches, we are able to support each child with SEND by:

Quality First Teaching

For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • That different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning, or adapting the learning environment to meet individual needs.
  • That Pupil Progress is regularly and carefully monitored, resulting in individual pupil progress targets being devised which prioritise and focus on the next steps to enable your child to make progress
  • Your child will have support from the class teacher
  • That specific advice suggested by outside experts, is in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher/the assessment manager/ SENCo and or HoEP, will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.


 Additional Specific Interventions


Examples of when pupils may have access to additional support:

  • Pre teaching opportunities before the lesson has been taught so your child already has a head start!
  • Small group sessions in and/or out of class
  • One to one sessions
  • Scripting/modelling behaviours
  • Support with tasks when differentiation is not appropriate
  • Preparation for change of lesson or activity
  • Chunking instructions
  • Support during unstructured times
  • Revisiting concepts taught in class


Additional strategies or programmes to support Communication & Interaction including:

  • Recommendations and programmes provided by Speech and Language
  • A specific speech and language programme based on the results of the Derbyshire Language Scheme screener
  • Speaking & Listening groups such as LOLA
  • In class co-operative learning groups
  • Talk Partners
  • Support from a number of specialized ELKLAN trained teaching assistants.


Additional strategies/programmes to support Cognition & Learning including:

  • Reading Buddies
  • Precision teaching
  • Lexia
  • Memory fix; working memory
  • Phonics Counts
  • Better Reading Partners
  • Rapid Reading
  • Rapid Maths
  • Rapid Writing
  • Additional guided group sessions


Additional strategies/programmes to support Social, Mental & Emotional Health including:

  • Time to Talk
  • ELSA (Emotional Literacy Support)
  • Socially Speaking
  • Yoga/ Mindfulness
  • Additional transition support
  • Social & emotional needs through circle of friends, art therapy, nurture work plus individualised care plans
  • Play therapy in some circumstances


Additional strategies/programmes to support Sensory or Physical Needs including:

  • Specific programmes designed by physiotherapists
  • Specific programmes designed by occupational therapists
  • Fine/Gross motor skill programmes including Tiger Team
  • Intervention through handwriting scheme Penpals
  • Specific equipment recommended by occupational therapists purchased through school budget
  • Touch typing interventions to support children with fine motor difficulties
  • Access to quiet place


Additional provision to facilitate and support access to the curriculum:

  • Additional support from a Teaching Assistant
  • Differentiation or modification of resources including:-
  • Scaffolding frames
  • Coloured paper
  • Overlays
  • Writing Slope
  • Chair cushion
  • Pencil grips
  • Easy use scissors
  • Autistic friendly visual timetables
  • Word banks
  • Multi-sensory approaches to learning
  • Alternative methods of recording
  • Thinking time given
  • Time provided to process information
  • Co-operative learning strategies


Do any of the staff have specialist training?

As a whole school we have worked with external agencies to provide whole school training. All/or specific staff have recently been trained in the following areas:-

  • Supporting children with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder)
  • Supporting children with ADHD (Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder)
  • Team teach
  • Restorative approaches
  • Guided reading
  • Memory Fix
  • Dyslexia friendly interventions
  • Phonics Counts
  • Lexia
  • Makaton
  • British Sign Language level 2
  • Irlens – visual stress screeners
  • Time to Talk
  • Drawing Therapy
  • ELSA
  • Nurture group accreditation


How does this school measure progress and how often?

Your child’s progress will be continually monitored by his/her class teacher. Additionally his/her progress will be reviewed formally with the Headteacher, other senior leaders and the SENCo each half term in reading, writing, maths and science. Your child’s class teacher will be continuously assessing your child during and after each lesson and responding to their needs in the next lesson.

 At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6), all children are required to be formally assessed and will have a raw score and standardised score.

Where necessary, children will have an individual pupil progress targets based on PIVATS (Performance Indicators for Value Added Target Setting) or based on targets set by outside agencies specific to their needs. Targets will be set using these PIVAT levels and designed to accelerate learning and close the gap. Progress against these targets will be reviewed regularly, evidence for judgements assessed and a future plan made.

The progress of children with a statement of SEN/EHC Plan will be formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.

The SENCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.

Regular book scrutinies of learning and lesson observations will be carried out by the Senior Management Team to ensure that the needs of all children are met and that the quality of teaching and learning is high.

Who are the other people delivering services to the children in this school?

You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist, member of the Autism team, Community Pediatrician or Educational Psychologist. This is to help the school and you to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.

The school works with a number of external agencies to seek advice and support to ensure that the needs of all children are fully understood and met.

These include:-

  • CWAC Special Educational Needs and Inclusion Advisory Service.
  • Educational Psychology service
  • Physiotherapy
  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Child and Adolescence Mental Health Service (CAMHS)
  • Paediatric Services
  • School Nurse
  • Social Services
  • Autism Team
  • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing need
  • Parent Partnership Service


If your child is seen by one of the above professionals, as a school we normally receive a report. 

How does my child contribute their views?

Children are routinely asked to reflect on their learning and share how they feel they are progressing during the course of their daily learning journey.

If your child has a statement or EHCP, their views will be sought before any pupil centered review meetings. These will be held at least once a year by Nicola Johnson or Sue Wilkins.

How does this school support the families of children with SEND?

The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school, so that similar strategies can be used.

  • The HOEP/SENCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • Home learning will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual requirements.
  • A home-school contact book may be used to support communication with you when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.
  • Our learning mentor (Mrs Plested) is available if you feel you need support.


How accessible is this school for children with SEND?

The Arches is a mainstream primary school on two levels. As a school we are happy to discuss any individual access requirements your child may have prior to starting. The facilities we have at present include:-

  • A lift
  • Ramps into the school
  • A toilet adapted for disabled users
  • Wide opening doors in corridors


How does this school support the emotional wellbeing of pupils?

We recognise that some children have additional emotional and social needs that need to be developed and nurtured. We are a very nurturing school and recognise all behaviour is a type of communication. These needs can manifest themselves in a number of ways, including behavioural difficulties, anxiousness, and being uncommunicative.  The emotional wellbeing of all pupils is fundamental to the ethos of The Arches.  Each classroom has a worry box and utilizes techniques such as circle time.  It is regularly communicated to all pupils who they can go to if something is concerning them and that The Arches is a ‘telling school’.  The school features a number of quiet areas where children can talk about any worries they may have with an adult, an aquarium for relaxation and extensive grounds to ‘let off steam’.  We have a full time Family Support worker trained in therapies such as CAF cards and drawing and talking (Mrs Julie Pleasted).

What support is there for behaviour, avoiding exclusion and increasing attendance?

If a child has significant behaviour difficulties, an Individual Behaviour Management Plan (IBMP) is written to identify the specific issues, put relevant support in place and set targets with a view to identifying and addressing the underlying reasons behind the behaviour. The HoEP, Mrs Sue Wilkins will coordinate this plan.

Attendance of every child is monitored on a daily basis by the school. Lateness and absence are recorded and reported to the Headteacher who may involve the Educational Welfare Officer or Children’s Services if this becomes a concern.

The Family Support Worker, Mrs Julie Plested can provide support for families.


How does the school manage the administration of medicines?

The school has a policy regarding the administration and managing of medicines, which is available on the policy page of the school website. Parents can request a paper copy of this policy from the school office

Parents need to contact the school office if medication is prescribed by a healthcare professional and needs to be taken during the school day. Any medication must be given to the school in the original packaging that it was dispensed in, with the child’s name and administration information clearly shown. A form must also be completed by the parent and medicines handed into and collected from the school office. On a day-to-day basis, the class teacher/teaching assistant would generally oversee the administration of any medicines. Another member of staff will always witness any administration. As a staff we have regular training and updates on conditions and medication affecting individual children, so that all staff are able to manage medical situations. Many staff hold first aid qualifications, which are updated regularly.




How will this school support transition into a new class? Or a new school?

Transition to a new school/class can be a particularly anxious time for children and young people with SEND and we aim to provide as successful and smooth transition as possible.

When moving schools we will always contact the new schools SENCo and share information about the type of provision that is required to help your child achieve their learning goals. If appropriate, additional transition visits can be arranged for your child so they can experience their new school at different times of day. This will be arranged in liaison with the new school. All information we have on record will be passed up to the new school even if your child is no longer requiring SEND support.

When moving to a new class in the same school information sharing sessions will take place with the new class teacher.  Regular opportunities will be provided in the summer term for your child to meet their new teacher.  In some cases multi-agency meetings may be arranged to create a more detailed transition plan. If a child has an EHC Plan then this will be discussed with the new class teacher before September.