Family Support

Mrs Plested

Hello!  My name is Julie Plested and I am the Family Support Worker in school.

My role in school is to provide support, advice and information to the families within our school community.  I can help you with any worries that you may have in relation to your child's education, behaviour and wellbeing.  I am also here as someone to talk to if you need it!

I can meet with you at home or in school at a time to suit yourself.  Advice and support is confidential although concerns relating to the safeguarding of children will always be dealt with in accordance with the school's Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy.  I may not have all the answers, but hopefully I can help you to work out how to find them!

Support for pupils and families includes:

  • promoting good attendance and punctuality
  • promoting self-esteem and confidence
  • promoting positive behaviour and positive attitudes to learning
  • providing one-to-one support
  • providing information and signposting to other services in the local area
  • liaising with a range of external services such as housing and Social Care
  • assistance in completing paperwork and forms
  • attendance and support at school and other agency meetings
  • advice and support in promoting positive behaviour at home
  • head lice advice

How to get in touch:

I am normally based in school every morning from 8.00am and can be available in the afternoons by arrangement.

Please call the school office on 01244 981 744 to make an appointment or pop in and I will be happy to see you as soon as I can.

I can also be contacted via email:


1-2-3 Magic is a behavioural management program for parents and other carers of young children.  1-2-3 Magic is easy to learn and it works.  The basic logic and simplicity of the method means that it is easy to remember for both parents and children especially under conditions of emotional stress. 1-2-3 Magic is a parent-in-charge program that eliminates arguing, yelling or smacking. 

TAF - Team Around the Family

For more information, please visit 

The NHS non-emergency numberNHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones

111 is the NHS non-emergency number. It's fast, easy and free. Call 111 and speak to a highly trained adviser, supported by healthcare professionals.


They will ask you a series of questions to assess your symptoms and immediately direct you to the best medical care for you.

When to use 111

You should use the NHS 111 service if you urgently need medical help or advice but it's not a life-threatening situation.

Call 111 if:

  • you need medical help fast but it's not a 999 emergency
  • you think you need to go to A&E or need another NHS urgent care service
  • you don't know who to call or you don't have a GP to call
  • you need health information or reassurance about what to do next

For less urgent health needs, contact your GP or local pharmacist in the usual way.

If a health professional has given you a specific phone number to call when you're concerned about your condition, continue to use that number.

For immediate life-threatening emergencies, continue to call 999

How does it work?

The NHS 111 service is staffed by a team of fully trained advisers, supported by experienced nurses and paramedics.

They'll ask you questions to assess your symptoms, then give you the healthcare advice you need or direct you to the local service that can help you best.

That could be A&E, an out-of-hours doctor, an urgent care centre, a walk-in centre, a community nurse, an emergency dentist, or a late-opening chemist

Go to NHS Choices homepageThe NHS Choices Website provides an overview of the most common services provided by the NHS in England, such as emergency and urgent care, general practitioners (GPs) or dental services. Explore each service and find out what you should expect from the NHS, how to access particular services, and the costs involved (if any). Choosing which service is right for you at a given time may not always be easy – often you have more than one option. Use the checklist on the website to guide you if you're not sure where to start.

Call NHS 111 if you urgently need medical help or advice but it's not a life-threatening situation. You can also call NHS 111 if you're not sure which NHS service you need.



Call 999 if someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk.


Visit a walk-in centre, minor injuries unit or urgent care centre if you have a minor illness or injury (cuts, sprains or rashes) and it can't wait until your GP surgery is open.

Ask your local pharmacist for advice – your pharmacist can give you advice for many common minor illnesses, such as diarrhoea, minor infections, headache, travel advice or sore throats.


Make an appointment with your GP if you are feeling unwell and it is not an emergency.



For emergencies only contact 999Image result for cheshire police logo

For non-emergencies contact 101



Image result for cheshire fire and rescue serviceFor emergencies only contact 999

For non-emergencies contact 01606 868465 (contact this number for Home Safety Assessments)




Chester (Aqua House)                  0300 303 4549

Ellesmere Port (Unity House)     0300 303 4550

Northwich (Victoria House)         0300 303 4548

WDP Cheshire West and Chester is a fully integrated recovery service delivered by WDP. 

We offer free and confidential support for individuals affected by drug and alcohol problems.

We also offer services to your family and loved ones so that they can receive help and advice on how best to support you during your recovery.

Our specialist team includes substance misuse workers, doctors, nurses and psychologists, as well as peer mentors and volunteers.

How to access our services

This service is available to all residents of Cheshire West and Chester.  We have an adult service for those over 18 and also offer support to young people under 18.

You can visit the service in person or contact us by phone.

Any professional such as a housing support worker, social worker, GP or nurse can also make a referral on your behalf.

When you come into the service you will be able to talk to one of our duty workers who will help you decide what support best meets your needs.

Once you have been assessed, our team will work with you to create a recovery care plan.

We will regularly review and adjust your recovery care plan to make sure you receive the right support at the right time.

What we offer

  • Information, advice & support
  • Counselling
  • Self-help & mutual aid groups
  • Group work programme (including LGBTQ+, women-only & evening groups)
  • Service user involvement
  • A health & wellbeing service for people who use substances at lower levels
  • Outreach & engagement in the community
  • Reintegration services
  • Family & carers’ support and advice
  • Education, training & employment support
  • Peer mentoring & volunteering opportunities
  • Outpatient community detox
  • BBV screening / vaccination
  • Needle exchange & harm reduction advice
  • Substitute prescribing
  • Support for individuals in the criminal justice system
  • Access to inpatient detox & residential rehab
  • WDP’s Capital Card® (earn points by engaging in treatment & spend points on activities in your local community)

Hospital Alcohol Liaison Team (HALS)           

01244 362 444

Al-Anon Family Groups   

020 7403 0888                                                                                   

Helpline and groups for anyone whose life is, or has been, affected by someone else’s drinking, regardless of whether the person is still drinking or not

Alcoholics Anonymous (AA)

0800 9177 650                   

Helpline and regular self-help meetings for problem drinks who wish to stay sober and support others achieve sobriety


0300 123 6600                                                                                   

Helpline and website for anyone concerned about drug or solvent misuse. Advice and information for drug users, their families, friends and carers

Narcotics Anonymous (NA)

0300 999 1212                                                                                               

Helpline and regular self-help meetings for addicts who wish to stop using and support others to remain drug-free


0300 123 1100                                                                                   

Information and advice about alcohol


Mental health services are free on the NHS but in most cases you will need a referral from your GP to access them

Some mental health problems can be managed without the help of GP. There are a variety of materials available on NHS Choices website (  as well as online services ( and national helplines (

Image result for Samaritans logo


01244 377 999 (Local)       

116 123 (Free Phone)


The Samaritans operates a free to call service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for people who want to talk in confidence

What happens when you contact us:

1. A volunteer will answer

If you phone us, we answer with something like ‘Samaritans, can I help you?’

With text, email, letter and face-to-face visits, how we respond to you depends on what you say.

2. You talk, we listen

We listen to you and help you talk through your concerns, worries and troubles.

We’ll focus on your thoughts and feelings rather than going into the details, so we may ask questions to help explore how you feel.

Most people aren't suicidal. 

Most people who contact us are not suicidal. When you talk to us, we will give you an opportunity to talk about any thoughts or feelings you have, whatever they may be.

How does focusing on feelings help?

You'll be able to see things more clearly. You'll be able to think much more clearly about what your options are. 

Sometimes people need to cry or show how angry they are at life, or go over their thoughts and feelings several times to make sense of them, and that’s fine. We're there for as long as you need us.

Sometimes even hearing a supportive voice can give you that little bit of strength to keep going.

We won’t tell you what you should do.

We won’t make decisions for you, and we'll support the decisions you make. 

You are the expert on your own life. Our advice or opinions are not important.

If you want specific advice, we may be able to give you contact details for organizations that specialize in helping with a problem you may have.

They allow you to sensitively discuss your options and explore your own feelings. After all, you're best placed to solve your problems.

It’s not about us. 

We won’t talk about ourselves, even if you ask us to. We’re there to give you time, space and support – you don’t need to ask how we are, or give us time in return.

We don’t impose any personal attitudes or beliefs on you. We’re not religious. 

Dealing with a mental health crisis or emergency

A mental health crisis means that you no longer feel able to cope or be in control of your situation. You may feel great emotional distress or anxiety, can’t cope with day-to-day life or work, think about suicide or self-harm, or experience hallucinations and hearing voices. 

A crisis can also be the result of an underlying mental health condition, such as confusion or delusions caused by an infection, overdose, drug use or intoxication with alcohol. Confusion can also be associated with dementia. 

Whether you experience a sudden deterioration of an existing mental health problem, or are experiencing problems for the first time, you’ll need to get immediate expert assessment to identify the because cause of action and stop you getting worse. 

If you’re already been given a crisis line number from a health professional, call it. 

If you are under the care of a mental health team and have a specific care plan that states who to contact when you need urgent care, follow this plan. 

The Samaritans operates a free to call service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for people who want to talk in confidence. Call them on 116 123

You can call NHS 111 if you or someone you know requires urgent care, but it is not life threatening. For example:

  • If you have an existing mental health problem and your symptoms get worse
  • If you experience a mental health problem for the first time
  • If someone has self-harmed but it does not appear to be life-threatening, or is talking about wanting to self-harm
  • If a person shows signs of onset dementia
  • If a person is experiencing domestic violence or physical, sexual or emotional abuse

Alternatively, contact your GP practice and ask for an emergency appointment. Your practice should be able to offer you an appointment in a crisis with the first available doctor

A mental health emergency should be taken seriously as a medical emergency

Call 999 if you or someone you know experiences an acute life-threatening medical or mental health emergency

You can go to A&E directly if you need immediate help and are worried about your safety. You may be close to acting on suicidal thoughts or have seriously harmed yourself

Once at A&E the team will tend to your immediate physical and mental health needs. Many hospitals now have a liaison psychiatry team which is designed to bridge the gap between physical and mental healthcare

If this service is not available, the A&E team will contact the local on-call mental health services, such as the crisis resolution and home treatment teams

The team in charge of your care will assess you, decide on the best course of care, and whether you can go home or need to be admitted to hospital


Domestic Abuse Intervention & Prevention Service (DAIPS)

0300 123 7047 (option 2)     

Support service for victims of domestic abuse assessed as being at high risk of serious harm from partner, ex-partner or family member. Support can be offered to men and women in same sex or heterosexual relationships, as well as those at risk of “honour” based violence and forced marriage

women's aid - until women & children are safe - Opens in a new window

National Domestic Abuse 24 Hour Helpline   

0808 2000 247

Helpline to discuss what domestic abuse is, safety planning advice, look for safe accommodation and refuge spaces, contact numbers for local support, emotional support and signposting to other sources of information and advice

Domestic Violence Assist Registered Charity Number 1169645DV Assist

0800 195 8699                                   

Help to obtain non-molestation order, occupation order and/or prohibited steps order

NCDVNational Centre for Domestic Violence (NCDV)

0800 970 2070                                               

Help to obtain non-molestation order, occupation order and/or prohibited steps order

WHAGWomen’s Housing Action Group (WHAG)

0151 356 4686                                                                       

Refuge accommodation, resettlement and community support, medium risk support service and complex needs project for victims with substance misuse and mental health issues across Cheshire West & Chester area

Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre (RASASC)

01925 221 546                                   

Support for people affected by rape or sexual abuse no matter how long ago it occurred or what happened. Services include specialist counselling, pre-trial counselling, group work, and support and help through the criminal justice system

Image result for chester sexual assault support serviceChester Sexual Abuse Support Service (CSASS)

0808 284 0484 or 01244 307 499                           

Free independent counselling and telephone support line for anyone affected by any form of rape, sexual abuse or sexual violence at any time in their lives. Also support people who many not necessarily been abused directly, but who might have witnessed the abuse or been affected by someone’s disclosure to them

The live chat service was recently launched to provide emotional support and information for adult survivors of sexual violence. It has been funded by David Keane, Police and Crime Commissioner, from his Safer Communities Fund. The service runs Monday and Wednesday evenings, 6 – 8pm, via the CSASS website:

St Mary's Centre Logo

St Mary’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC)

0161 276 6515                                               

St Mary’s SARC provides a comprehensive and coordinated forensic, counselling and aftercare service for men, women and children who have experienced rape or sexual assault, whether this has happened recently or in the past. Services include immediate crisis support, medical examination, pregnancy advice, sexual health screening and counselling

Paladin ServicePaladin National Stalking Advocacy Service

020 3866 4107           

Advocacy for anyone at risk of serious harm or homicide from a stalker by giving initial advice, completing assessment, aiming to improve access to the right kind of support. Stalking Helpline

0808 802 0300                                               

National Stalking Helpline is run by Suzy Lamplugh Trust providing information on the law in relation to stalking and harassment, reporting to Police, effective gathering of evidence, ensuring personal safety and practical steps to reduce risk


weblogo Galop

0800 999 5428                                                           

LGBT+ anti-violence charity offering advice and support to people how have experiencing biphobia, homophobia, transphobia, sexual violence, domestic abuse or who had problems with police or criminal justice system


Image result for karma nirvana

Karma Nirvana

0800 5999 247 

Confidential helpline for people at risk of forced marriage or “honour”-based violence, and professionals who have concerns. 

Image result for mens advice lineMen’s Advice Line

0808 801 0327                                               

Confidential helpline for men experiencing domestic abuse offering emotional support, providing practical support and signposting to other services for specialist help


Image result for respect phonelineRespect

0808 802 4040                                   

Confidential helpline offering advice, information and support to help stop being violent and abusive towards partner. 


The Hide OutThe Hideout                                       

Website created by Women’s Aid to help children and young people understand domestic abuse and how to take positive steps if it’s happening to them. There is also advice for adults about domestic abuse and effect it has on children and young people


Image result for childline


0800 1111                   

Childine is a free, private and confidential help from trained counsellors for anyone under the age of 19 with any issue their going through

Image result for kooth


Kooth is free and anonymous online counselling and emotional wellbeing support service for children and young people. They can join to chat to friendly counsellors (online Monday-Friday 12pm-10pm and Saturday-Sunday 6pm-10pm), get support from Kooth community, write in daily journal and read articles written by young people

Image result for think u knowThinkUKnow                                                 

ThinkUKnow is education programme by Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP) aimed at children and young people around how to use internet safely based around three key themes:

  • How to have fun
  • How to stay in control
  • How to report a problem

The website is broken down into sections for children aged 5-7, children aged 8-10, children aged 11-13, young people aged 14+, parents and carers, and professionals. 

The news and information centre for CWP CAMHSChildren & Young People’s Out of Hours Advice Line

01244 397 644

Are you worried about a young person’s mental health? Would it help to talk to a mental health professional? You can now access mental health advice and support outside of usual working hours by calling the Children & Young People’s Out of Hours Advice Line Mon-Fri 5pm-10pm and Sat-Sun 12pm-8pm


Integrated Access & Referral Team

Children’s Social Care and Early Help and Prevention Service

0300 123 7047 option 1                  Mon-Thu 8:30am-5pm and Fri 08:30am-4:30pm

Cheshire West Community Access Team

Adult Social Care

0300 123 7034                                 Mon-Thu 8:30am-5pm and Fri 08:30am-4:30pm

Emergency Duty Team for out of hours emergencies for children or adults

01244 977 277                                 Mon-Thu 4:30pm-8:30am, Fri from 4pm, 24 hours at weekend and bank holidays


Cheshire West & Chester Council Housing Options

0300 123 2442                       

If you feel you are at risk of harm and you think you need to leave your home, you should contact the Council’s Housing Options team as soon as possible. Housing Options can provide confidential advice and discuss and arrange with you alternative housing options including finding a place of safety (refuge), helping you to stay safe in your home, or looking at alternative permanent housing in the private sector, or from the Council’s housing register. Housing Options can also refer you to specialist agencies for further advice and support.  Do not make a decision to give up your home permanently until you have spoken to a Housing Options adviser and considered all your options

Housing Options Accommodation Self-Help Pack

Housing Options Accommodation Finder Self-Help Pack can be used by anyone trying to find accommodation in the Cheshire West and Chester area. You can increase your chances of finding something suitable by considering the full range of housing options available to you as well as knowing what you can afford.